Sunday, 26 May 2013

Entry 5

Entry 5

Spinning when feeling tense or overstimulated is a stare-worthy activity and may alienate those present.

Dear Internet,


Spinning is something I do a lot. Rocking is a typical autistic behaviour and, whilst I do rock, both are stims and fall under the umbrella of repetitive behaviour. I've also noticed that I spin a lot at train stations. Probably because it's so loud and crowded and there are weird smells, not to mention the stress of getting the right train at the right time. There are just too many things going on and spinning helps me almost to block out everything going on. It's very calming for me, but apparently not for other people. Several times I've been approached by others waiting on the platform to ask if I'm alright.

From Sarah.

2 comments:

  1. I love spinning! And I can't see anything wrong with doing it in public, in front of people I'll never see again. If they think it's weird, they likely won't want to talk to me, and if I'm over stimulated I don't want to talk to them, so it's a double-win!
    I rock, too.
    By the way, why do you tag your notebook entries "SEMCGE"?
    -another aspie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so calming! To be honest, I don't understand why it bothers other people so much...
      It stands for "SOCIETAL EXPECTATIONS, MISLEADING COMMUNICATIONS AND GENERAL ETIQUETTE", the name that I give the little notebook I note these things down on. I love your comments, by the way! I have recently got a job so I haven't been posting because it's just been quite stressful, but hopefully I'm going to post more as I have over 20 entries in my notebook now!

      Sarah.

      Delete